Jargon Buster

Search for glossary terms (regular expression allowed)
Begin with Contains Exact termSounds like


All A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Term Definition

Disabled Children's Team


Disability Discrimination Act

Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS)

A government department that deals with businesses, training and universities.


The Department for Education is responsible for education and children's services (http://www.education.gov.uk/aboutdfe)


The way in which the early years setting/school’s curriculum and teaching methods are adapted to meet the needs of a child.

Direct Payments

Allow people to receive money directly from their local authority, so they can pay for their own services and live more independently.

Disagreement resolution (mediation)

Arrangements which all local authorities must provide to help prevent or resolve disagreements between parents/carers whose children have SEN and the local authority or school. These must include an independent service with trained mediators, designed to bring the different parties together in an informal way to try to resolve the disagreement through discussion. In Portsmouth this service is called Global Mediation and you can contact them by telephoning 020 8441 1355 or 0800 064 4488.


Something the law says an organisation must do.